Friday, September 02, 2005

Home again, with CNN


Now sitting back at home, and watching the hideous news from Louisiana, and hoping the buses with our vets on them get there, but I’m sure it won’t be soon enough.

This is the USA. We are, for now, the world’s last remaining super power. New Orleans has descended into chaos, with death and rape and hunger and dehydration and looting and no escape for 10s of thousands of people.

While over 100,000 of our bravest and best are sweltering and dying in Iraq, we cannot drop food and water to our dying citizens. We cannot get them out of the city. They are dying in the street, and reporters say no one is in charge, no help is in sight, no first responders anywhere.

I’m sick of incompetence, and I’m sick of death. I’m sick of the shrill demonization of people who are crying for justice and truth. I am sick of apologists whose only response to tragedy is “Support Bush!” or “How can you blame him for this?” or “It’s the America hating left’s fault!”

I’m sick. It has to change. I know the arc of justice is long, and that it will take dedication and patience. But I’m so sick at the moment.

Say a prayer for the citizens of New Orleans. Say a prayer for our soldiers in Iraq, and private Iraqi citizens. Say a prayer for our brave and hurting veterans, who put their patriotism ahead of their anguish and fight on. Pull yourself up and see how you can help. And, as Dennis Kyne says, Support the Truth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home